Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Searching for the best macaroni and cheese
1. Heat over to 375. Butter a 2 quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread ina medium bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.
3. While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes think.
4. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmet, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and MOST of the cheddar and Gruyere/Romano cheese (resevering some cheese to sprinkle on top); set cheese sauce aside.
5. Cook macaroni 2-3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions; drain, rinse. Add to reserved cheese sauce.
6. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining cheeses and breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes.